On February 23, 2013, IFMCA members Jon Broxton, Dan Goldwasser and Daniel Schweiger attended a champagne reception honoring the Academy Award music nominees for 2012. The event, which was organized by the Society of Composer and Lyricists, was held at the home of Emmy Award-nominated composer John Cacavas in Beverly Hills, California.
SCL president Dan Foliart and SCL advisory board member Charles Bernstein introduced each of the composers and songwriters:
- Mychael Danna, who was nominated for Best Score for his outstanding Indian-flavored work on director Ang Lee’s Life of Pi, and for Best Song along with vocalist Bombay Jayashri, for the lush opening title piece “Pi’s Lullaby” from the same score.
- Alexandre Desplat, who was nominated for Best Score for his tense, Middle Eastern thriller score Argo.
- Paul Epworth, the co-writer of the powerful main title song “Skyfall” from the film of the same name, which he co-wrote with British pop sensation Adele.
- Dario Marianelli, who was nominated for Best Score for his elegant work on the beautiful Russian literary adaptation Anna Karenina.
- Walter Murphy, who co-wrote the jazzy “Everybody Needs a Best Friend” from the raucous comedy Ted with director Seth MacFarlane for vocalist Norah Jones.
- Thomas Newman, who was nominated for Best Score for his pulse pounding music for the blockbuster James Bond thriller Skyfall.
- J Ralph, who penned music in a classic Hollywood sound for the song “Before My Time” from the environmentally-themed documentary Chasing Ice, which was performed by actress Scarlett Johansson.
- Claude-Michel Schönberg, Alain Boublil and Herbert Kretzmer, who wrote a new song entitled “Suddenly” for the new big screen version of their classic stage musical Les Miserables.
- and John Williams, who was nominated for Best Score for his poignant, noble, Americana-infused score for Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, about the last few months of the life of legendary American president.
Danna, Desplat, Marianelli, Murphy, Newman and Williams all also received IFMCA Award nominations for their work in 2012, with Danna, Desplat, Murphy, Newman and Williams all winning in their respective categories.
Also in attendance at the event were several other of this year’s IFMCA Award nominees, including Russell Brower and Neal Acree (nominated in the Game category for World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria), Joel Douek and Elik Alvarez (nominated in the Documentary category for Kingdom of Plants), Reinhold Heil (nominated in numerous categories for Cloud Atlas), Grant Kirkhope (nominated in the Game category for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning), and Zeltia Montes (nominated in the Breakout Composer category following her score for Vilamor).
The Society of Composers and Lyricists is the premier nonprofit organization for composers, lyricists, and songwriters working in the motion picture, television, and video games industry, and provides a wealth of support and educational resources to its members through seminars, workshops, screenings and various other events. For more information visit www.thescl.com
The IFMCA is honored to be able to support the Society of Composers and Lyricists in its work for the film music community.
Click on the thumbnails for larger photos: